Thursday, April 26, 2018

Week 14 Story: The Girl Who Became a River


5/1/18
Dear Diary,
It was another boring day, like every day in this stupid town. I went to work, put up the new display for May, which is just the April clothes with the mannequins in opposite windows, helped the same boring customers, ate a grilled cheese for lunch, went to class, and went home. In class, Marianna said my sweater was “interesting” and that kind of hurt. I know she’s my friend, but sometimes she just seems like she hangs out with me because it makes her feel better about herself. Anyway, I made nachos for dinner, and watched Netflix for three hours. There’s just nothing to do here, and no one to do the nothing with, and it freaking sucks. Maybe something new will happen tomorrow. Or not. Probably not.



5/5/18
Dear Diary,
I went for a walk today, through the forest on the edge of town. Marianna told me not to go, but I just felt called, you know? Like there was something in the forest I needed to see. So I went down this little path, until I got to a river, and then I just sat by it for a bit. I listened to the flow of the water and after a while I thought I heard it whispering to me. I don’t know how I understood, but I think it told me it wasn’t always a river? That it was a person? I know that’s really weird, but it also didn’t feel strange at all. Talking to the river felt perfectly natural and I don’t know why. I’m going to go back tomorrow, and talk to it again if I can.



5/7/18
Dear Diary,
The River and I have been talking a lot. Her name is Laurel, and she used to live in town, but she hated it, like I do. One day she walked into the forest and just…never left. She sat up against a rock and let her thoughts flow, like water, until suddenly she was water. She says I can do it too, if I want. That’s why she can talk to me, because I could do it.  I could be a river, or a tree probably. I just have to go back out to the forest and let myself really join with the world around me. I want to. My job sucks and Marianna is my friend but she isn’t very nice and hanging out with Laurel in the forest all day sounds so much better. I think I’ll try tomorrow. If it doesn’t work, I’ll just come back.


5/8/18
In a forest outside a small town, a girl sits next to a river, legs crossed. She has been sitting for several hours, but they have passed like minutes, and the edges of her form are starting to blur. Slowly, she begins to dissolve.

5/9/19
In a forest outside a small town, where one river flowed, two now cross, waters mingling as one for an instant before returning to their separate channels.



Author's note: The original story I worked from is about three orphans, two sisters and a brother, who always had to work really hard and were never lucky. Their lives were very difficult, so they decided to wander and become great rivers, because that's just a thing that was possible then. They go to sleep in a swamp, and the sisters sneak off to take the best places to flow, and when he wakes, the brother angrily chases them in river form until he runs into the sea. Essentially, the story explains how three Russian rivers came to be.

I only took the part of the story that says people are able to turn into rivers, and wrote a story about a girl that lives in an ambiguous small town, hates her life, and learns that she can turn into a river from one that used to be just like her.

Image; River. Source.

Bibliography: The Metamorphosis of the Dnieper, the Volga, and the Dvina from Russian Fairy Tales by W. R. S. Ralston (1887). Source.

4 comments:

  1. Taylor,
    I really like how you designed this story. It is nice as a reader to see stories with different designs, formats, dialogue, etc. because the same thing in every story makes it predictable and boring for a reader. In my opinion, your story was super interesting because I liked the way you divided your story up into the diary entries. It made it more intriguing and fun to read! What a great storytelling post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Taylor! What a great idea for your story. I thought that having a diary style entry was amazing! It made it not only fun to read, but it made the whole story flow very easy. It sometimes lose my concentration when I read a lot of stories at once, but I was able to really enjoy your writings. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Taylor,

    I love this story. The way you have it set up as journal entries made it so smooth and easy to read. IT also allowed for a little imagination room on the days that weren’t written about. I like how calm and peaceful the girl was with her decision. It made me feel at peace when I read it, haha! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taylor, I thought your retelling of this story was really beautiful and the diary-style of writing added an intimacy to her emotions that we would not have gotten otherwise. I got the feeling that it was like the girl found an old friend that she really needed, and the end where the two rivers merged was them talking. All in all, great story!

    ReplyDelete