Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Reading Notes: English Tales, Part B

This week I'm reading English stories, and to try and figure out which one I'd like to write about (I've been having trouble with deciding these things lately), I'm going to add a little to my notes after reading each, just whatever strikes me about the story. I read part A but 100% forgot to finish my reading notes, so we're going to start this method with Part B.



Henny-Penny - I'm pretty sure I remember reading a version of this story as a child. It didn't involve snapping necks though. The dark turn the story takes is interesting but I really can't get past the rhyme-y names.

Molly Whuppie - What's with the English and stories about dead children and animals? I really enjoyed this story asides from the kids dying, but that's something I could fix in a rewrite.

Mr Fox - These really are just terribly dark stories. At least the evildoer is killed, but I'm not diggin' the serial killer vibe.

Johnny-Cake - Somehow a rolling cake trying to escape is so much funnier to me than a gingerbread man. I kind of want to rewrite this story where the cake gets away? Or where the cake never talks, it just rolls away and no one can figure out why or how or how to catch it.

Mr Miacca - I'm really concerned about the English people. Mr. Miacca sounds like someone I wouldn't want a reward from even if he offered it. I could write about his good side, though, and juxtapose it with the bad. That would be fun to write probably, but maybe a little long.

The Laidly Worm of Spindleston Heugh - This was a cool story, but I don't think I want to mess with the exposition.

The Ass, The Table and the Stick - I was so into the story until Jack beat and robbed the other neighborhood girls and I instantly hated him.

Fairy Ointment - For whatever reason fairy stories kind of bore me, so I guess it's looking like Jonny-Cake or Mr. Miacca.


Image: Henny Penny. Source.

Bibliography:  English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1890) Source.

No comments:

Post a Comment