Thursday, February 15, 2018

Reading Notes: Egypt, Part B

I ended up really liking what I did with my last post, so I'm going to do something similar here. There were actually only three stories in part B of the unit, but two of them were broken up into several sections due to length. For the purpose of my notes, I'm going to address the longer stories in their entirety rather than in bits and pieces.

1. The Two Brothers
This story was a wild ride. At any given point I didn't know where it was going to go nor was I certain why it had gone in any of the directions it had. I really was not a fan of the whole "evil women" theme it had going on, so that could be something I'd want to change in rewriting. Also, I was very curious about how the woman the king sent was able to take Bata's wife when no one else could. Was it just that Bata wouldn't kill a woman? Was his wife secretly a lesbian? It's never explained, and thus is very open to exploration on my end.

2. The Book of Thoth
I really enjoyed this story. It was pretty straightforward and predictable, but managed to not lose my interest. Unlike the women in The Two Brothers, Ahura knows what's up and tries to save her husband and family from the terrible events she sees coming as a result of her husband stealing the book. I have an idea for this one, which would be to tell the story from the point of view of Thoth, maybe taking a first-person style similar to what I did with Samael, but with a more Thoth-like personality.



3. The Tale of King Rhampsinitus
The title of this tale is rather misleading, given that the protagonist of the story is a thief, not King Rhampsinitus. The story itself, however, was very entertaining. There are lots of ways I could dig further into the plot in my own rewriting, like narrating as the king or telling the story from the limited perspective of a guard, perhaps through conversation with one of his peers.


Bibliography: Egyptian Myth and Legend by Donald Mackenzie. Source.

Image: Thoth. Source.

No comments:

Post a Comment