Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Reading Notes: Homer's Iliad, Part B

I'm pretty sure I want to stick with my Skyrim idea at this point, so what's left is to choose a specific part of the Iliad to put my own twist on. I think an action scene will give me more to work with, but I’m still not completely decided between the death of Patroclus or the death of Hector. I’m leaning towards Hector, because I think his death at the hands of a vengeful Achilles is both more climactic and cathartic. I want to be able to provide some sort of narrative arc that allows this small section of a huge story to function at least somewhat on its own.

If I have the word count to manage, I’d like to start the scene with the “player” (probably represented via writing in second person) sitting by a fire with a Greybeard on High Hrothgar, asking him to continue the story he’s been telling for several nights. Again, if word count permits, I’d like to have the player interject with a question maybe once, just to solidify the storytelling setting. As for the story itself, to really provide a setting change I’m going to set the Imperial capital, Solitude, which lies off the Northern coast of Skyrim, as Troy. Rather than run past springs, Achilles and Hector (Galmar Stone-Fist and General Tullius in my story) will run through a mountain cave, and the weapon of death will be an axe, not a spear. I may leave Andromache’s name the same, as Tullius doesn’t have a mentioned wife in the game, and Priam will become the Emperor, who for the sake of the story will have a mentor relationship with Tullius.



To be honest, I’m a little worried that I’m being ambitious here, and that I won’t be able to fit what I’m hoping to into a thousand words or less. However, I think that as long as I don’t bog myself down in unnecessary detail and stay along the main lines of the story, I should be okay. I’m also planning on putting some explanatory links at the bottom of the reading for anyone who isn’t familiar with Skyrim and wants to know more about the setting.


Bibliography: Homer's Iliad retold by Alfred J. Church (1907). Source.

Solitude. Source.

No comments:

Post a Comment