Sunday, January 28, 2018

Topic Brainstorm

Urban Legends

As I mentioned in my introduction post, I really enjoy conspiracy theories. While not all urban legends are conspiracy theories, there is some definite overlap across the two categories. I like the concept of doing a project about urban legends especially because a lot of them only give you a sketch of a story, and it could be fun to fill in the details or create a larger story than the legend provides. There are a lot of topic options within urban legends, but the love and wedding categories particularly strike me as potentially very fun, or maybe Disney. With any of those, I'd probably tell several different urban legends as if they all happened to or were committed by the same person. That, or perhaps take on the persona of someone who purposely spreads urban legends, or an animator that hides things in movies, like this rather famous Disney example.



Ghost Stories of India

Last week when I was looking through the reading options, I was particularly intrigued by the stories about the Hindu demons, vetalas. I still think those are interesting, but reading about Indian ghosts, or bhoots, I think I have more possibilities with what I can do with stories about them, especially since they aren't relegated to a body, but can still enter one. I think it would be cool to do a project from the perspective of a bhoot, and tie it in with Indian fairy tales, with the ghost being that of one of the fairy tale protagonists, telling stories from both its life and death. For example, I could write as the Prince in this story.

Cookbook

Over the past year or so, I've been getting more into cooking, and this semester I've been starting to meal prep. My main thought when I saw this topic option is that I could actually make whatever recipes I find to use, and put pictures of it with the stories that go with them. I would most likely pick some foods from other cultures to make, and then find stories that match up with them. I really like Chinese food, so I could maybe find some Chinese myths to go with recipes. Alternately, my roommate is Filipino, and I noticed there are Filipino Tales in the UnTextbook. I asked him if he'd be able to help me with recipes if I ended up doing this project, and he said he could. So I would find Filipino tales like this one that mention food, and he would teach me a recipe that could correspond with said food.

Greek Mythology

I'm pretty familiar with Greek (and Roman) Mythology. I took a Shakespeare and Mythology class a couple of semesters ago, as well as Gods & Heroes in Art, and I took an elective class in high school that also focused on Classical mythology. Since Classics courses count towards my major, I have a lot of options in exploring these stories in a variety of contexts. They're popular, and I tend to try for more unique topics, but at the same time there's something about Greek and Roman mythology that feels like coming home. I'm always really amused by the numerous stories of Zeus's philandering ways, and I think I'd want to rewrite some of those and make it so that the reason Hera always knows what's up is because she has a spy, which is whose perspective I'd write from. There are a lot of stories this could work with, like the story of Zeus and Io.




Lion King hidden acronym. Source.

Io, by Castiglione Giovanni Benedetto. Source.


No comments:

Post a Comment