Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Storybook Favorites

As I was browsing through the storybooks from previous classes, several of them caught my eye. Here are the three that I found most interesting:

1. Louisiana Animal Folk Tales
This storybook is about, unsurprisingly, Louisiana folk tales that involve animals. I found this topic intriguing, mostly because I just didn't know that Louisiana had its own folk tales. I really enjoyed that the stories were told from the perspective of an animal rather than a human. Taking such a viewpoint helps give the reader a greater sense of empathy, as opposed to the judgmental stance one might take if getting the story from the perspective of an outsider.

2. Real Housewives of Greek Mythology
















The Real Housewives of Greek Mythology is a reality TV twist on classical Greek myths involving Hera, Amphitrite, Persephone, and Athena. The stories are presented as episode scripts on a recap site. I think this take on the women of Greek mythology is genius, though I was surprised the author left out Aphrodite. Still, the drama of the Olympians and the focus of the stories on their scandalous romantic lives as people stuck living together(ish) lends itself perfectly to the traditional reality show setup. Plus, some of the classical art the author uses seems like it could actually be reality screencaps. If it were on today, I would probably watch this on TV. Instead, I guess I'll have to settle for the recaps.

3. Tales of the River Ganges
I was drawn to Tales of the River Ganges initially for the concept of the river telling her own story. I stayed because it was actually quite relaxing. I loved that for the first story the author included a video of river sounds for background noise as they described drifting down the river, listening to a goddess give you her life story. The setting they created for the story, both in writing and sound, really helped me get a sense of place and time, and in my opinion, became an integral part of this storytelling experience.


Artemis and Apollo. Source.

No comments:

Post a Comment