Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Reading Options

It's been fun to begin exploring the UnTextbook this week! I have approximately 15 story tabs open in my browser (I may have read a little extra), but here are three I found particularly interesting:

1. The Twenty-Two Goblins Unit



This whole concept of these stories is so unique and fascinating to me. I enjoy the more macabre aspect that is the corpse inhabitation, but I also really love that each story has a riddle. The added challenge of the paradoxes brings an interactive dimension into the tales, which is an element I think I'd like to explore.

2.  The Deluge

The Deluge is a Cherokee myth that I found strikingly similar to the biblical story of Noah. After reading it, I want to dig more into the similarity of story themes and sometimes events across cultures. I know that at some point I read something that talked about the prevalence of ancient flood accounts in cultures around the world suggesting that such an event may have occurred, and now I want to track that down again as well.

3. Master and Pupil (or the Devil Outwitted)

This Georgian myth was interesting to me for the opposite reason of The Deluge, in that I don't think I've ever read anything quite like that story. That the power was in the hands of the son, and the son pushed for more money, but the father was ultimately the one who greedily made a mistake seems odd to me. It definitely might be a story I'm interested in rewriting in order to cast the blame differently.



Vetala. Source.

No comments:

Post a Comment